Travel Information

The Embassy is only able to offer limited travel information. One of the best sources of information on travelling to Japan is the Japan National Tourist Organisation (JNTO). The JNTO website will also answer a lot of your questions about sightseeing, food, banking and business hours, as well as giving advice about how to enjoy yourself without breaching local etiquette.

Be aware of fraudulent website, social media, emails in an attempt to extract payment from visa application

Start of a new residency management system (Immigration Bureau of the Ministry of Justice's Website)

Change to the Basic Resident Regulation Law (Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications's Website)


A visa is NOT required for Icelandic passport holders who wish to enter Japan for a period of three months or less for the following purposes:

Sightseeing, recreation, amateur sports, visiting relatives, inspection tour, participation in unpaid lectures or meetings, study, attending a conference, business contact or other similar activities. Journalists travelling to Japan for a short business trip do not require visas. On arrival at immigration in Japan, such passports are stamped for a stay of 90 days.

On entry to Japan a traveller should possess a fixed-date, confirmed return or onward journey ticket, and any supporting documents which can serve as evidence of the purpose of the trip (such as conference details, details of the host organisation etc). Furthermore, a traveller may be asked to show evidence of sufficient funds for the proposed period of stay in the country.

A visa is required if your purpose of travel is as a long term resident, for long term study, or for employment or other remunerative activities. Please note that overstaying your visa is a serious offence. Should you overstay your visa, you will be deported and may experience difficulty re-entering Japan.

JAPAN VISA INFORMATION HOTLINE(24 hours/7 days a week, English only) TEL:800-4261
*This hotline is designated for visa applicants residing in Iceland.
*If you are calling from Iceland, you will be charged a domestic call fee for your call.
*This Hotline will only provide general information regarding Japanese visas.
*The Hotline will not connect you to the Embassy's  Visa Office. If you need to contact the Embassy in regards to a pending visa application, please contact the Embassy directly at 510-8600 during office hours.

Certificate of Eligibility

If an applicant wishes to work, study, or live in Japan, he/she should in principle first obtain a Certificate of Eligibility. The Certificate of Eligibility is issued by the Ministry of Justice in Japan. To obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, the applicant must ask a sponsor in Japan (an employer, spouse, school, etc.) to contact the local immigration office and make an application on his/her behalf. The application must be made by a sponsor in Japan.

Once a Certificate of Eligibility has been obtained, the applicant should bring in the following documents to the Embassy to apply for a visa. The applicant needs to present himself/herself to the Embassy in principle when he/she applies or receives visa.

1. Valid passport
2. Visa Application Form
3. Certificate of Eligibility: original
4. 1 photograph (45mm x 45mm)
5. Other related documents)
6. Staying permit issued by the Directorate of Immigration of Iceland (Those who live in Iceland and apply for visa with passports other than Icelandic passport)

Please note that Certificates of Eligibility expires after three months. An applicant must obtain his/her visa and arrive in Japan within three months of the issue date of the Certificate of Eligibility. If an applicant has not travelled to Japan before the expiry date, then a new Certificate of Eligibility must be obtained before applying for the visa and travelling to Japan.

Further information about visas can be obtained by contacting the Embassy.

Consular Section Opening Hours

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs website also has a page linking to a range of practical information for anyone planning to visit Japan.


No vaccinations are required to enter Japan except when entering from an area where cholera and typhoid are endemic, in which case a certificate of vaccination against those diseases must be produced.

Prohibited & Restricted Items

The Japan Customs website gives full details of items you are not allowed to take into Japan. In common with most other countries, these include drugs, pornography and weapons.